Monday, April 15, 2013

Umstead South - Apr 14, 2013

Hot, hot, hot... And it's only April... I guess I forgot how hard it could be here during the summer heat. Battling cold and not running for the last two weeks didn't help either. As a result I was so exhausted by the end of the run, I could hardly stand. And that after I pretty much walked the last third of the course. My time reflected the struggle: 80 mins of 6.9 km with decent navigation - it should have been 10 mins less...

The course itself wasn't too hard navigation wise, but quite hilly and physically demanding - I usually struggle with such configurations heat or no heat... There were some very nicely designed legs though: 4-5, 5-6, 9-10 and 10-11 to name a few.

Here is how I ran:

#1: used the trail first and then cut straight to the control (and as it turned out through some thorny vines...)

#2: went east and ended up very close to the rangers residence, crossed the road and went down to the re-entrant, ran alongside it on the south slope to the control. The big side re-entrant before the control was an easy catch feature.

#3: crossed the re-entrant diagonally aiming to the top of the rocky line. From there went north-east and then north across the re-entrant. Went up keeping the stone wall on my left and went right to the control.

#4: down to the shore and to the bridge, crossed both bridges and went up a spur between two re-entrants. I thought I would reach the side re-entrant with the control this way, but it wasn't there. Maybe the map is not very accurate there (side re-entrant is smaller than it is on the map) or I got confused, not sure. Anyway, I ended up too far north and had to turn around to get to the control.

#5: to the road and down the slope. Ended up by the first stone wall, crossed the re-entrant there and went over the spur, crossed the other re-entrant and climbed up the hill. Then ran around the big re-entrant on my left (good attack point) and from there went straight to the control.

#6: walked up the hill and ran down to the river/creek junction. Crossed the creek and ran along the other creek between two hills. When I reached the hill to the north, turned left and went to the re-entrant (all that without gaining any elevation!). Walked up the hill to the trails junction. From there went north-west to the other hill and then north to the control.

#7: down the spur, across the re-entrant, then up on the right side of the side re-entrant first, then crossed it to the left side and proceeded up to the control.

#8: I was already very tired at this point and contemplated switching to Green, but decided not too. Went up 10 yards and saw the control in the distance - too easy.

#9: went west watching compass, so not to go astray and hit the re-entrant with the control precisely.

#10: from that point on walked a lot... went south, crossed the re-entrant but ended up west from the control - not east as I planned. Didn't look at the compass and run to the rocks on my right - bad move... There looked at the compass, realized what happened and corrected the mistake.

#11: went south-east, crossed one re-entrant then another, then reached the top of the third one. Went further east and crossed the next re-entrant aiming to the control, but reached wrong set of cairns. From there saw another cairn, ran there - it was also a wrong one. Turned back and saw the control.

#12: went down to the creek and spent a minute or so there splashing water over my head and shirt, then continued east around the hill keeping my elevation all the way until the control.

#13: to the trail, crossed the bridge and ran along the shore until the big re-entrant. CRAWLED up... Had to stop and few times to rest along the way. Evil, evil leg. After the initial climb slowly walked further up to the control.

#14: ran pretty much in a straight line, first to the creek a little south of the trail and then up to the control.

#15: again straight run/walk to the finish.

Here is my route (click to enlarge):



Thank you very much, Ken and Terese for setting the courses and pushing me up to the limits of my endurance! :)

4 comments:

Mihai I. said...

My course as captured by the GPS in my phone (first time I do this):

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1366073985-14273-206.53.108.130.html


I started going towards #6 the same way you did, and then it felt it might be faster (and with fewer hills) if I followed the (Company Mill) trail instead. It may have been, but then I had a fairly steep uphill on the reentrant after the bridge. Since I was on the trail, I know the GPS is not very accurate.

It also shows that I messed up #7 (I was a bit too far right, got confused by the rock piles and ended up at #8 so I had to dogleg it). And my #3 was very similar to yours (ended up a bit too South on the spur).

Mihai I. said...

(best way to see that course is to pick OpenStreetMap from the drop-down; it has the trails mapped accurately as verified with a friend's Garmin gps).

Vaskor said...

Mihai, thank you for the comments!
I am not sure about the trail route - I think, it's too much of an extra curve. But I guess it may work for fast runners :)

In any case, congratz on the great run!

王洛 said...

溪頭民宿
溪頭住宿
補財庫
斬桃花
招桃花
追蹤器
衛星追蹤器
徵信器材
監視系統
姓名學
八字
八字免費
姓名學免費
免費姓名學
妖怪村民宿
妖怪村住宿
妖怪村
花蓮民宿
台中住宿
日月潭民宿
台中室內設計
台中室內設計
軸承
銑刀
網路開店
算命
姓名算命
算命免費
免費算命
八字算命
LED路燈
太陽能系統
團體制服
制服訂做
聲寶服務站
歌林服務站
台中美食
生巧克力
乳酪蛋糕
堆高機
職業工會
工會健保
公所健保
工會勞保
通風設備
阿里山高山茶
阿里山茶
阿里山烏龍茶
眼線
月下老人